Yazan A. Alqudah, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, University of West Florida, Pensacola, FL, Fall 2018-Present
Professor, Princess Sumaya University for Technology, Amman, Jordan, 2020
Associate Professor, Princess Sumaya University for Technology, Amman, Jordan, Fall 2012-Spring 2018
Associate Professor, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, NC, Fall 2016-Spring 2017
Assistant Professor, Princess Sumaya University for Technology, Amman, Jordan, Fall 2008-Fall 2012: Teaching senior and junior level classes in electrical engineering and supervising senior students projects. Courses include: WiMAX Technology, Cellular Communications, Optical Fiber Communications, Analog Communications, Digital Signal Processing, Signals and Systems, and Circuit Analysis.
Visiting Scholar, Indiana University Purdue University, Fort Wayne, Indiana, Summer 2011: conducting collaborative research with Center for Wireless Technology on vertical handover and hands on open technology lab.
Assistant Dean for Graduate Studies and Scientific Research, Princess Sumaya University for Technology, Amman, Jordan, January 2010-January 2011: Assisting in the establishment of new graduate programs, obtaining research funding for faculty, and promoting academic research at the university.
Senior Staff Architect, Mobile Wireless Group and Logic Technology Development, Intel, Hillsboro, July 2003-January 2010: Managing projects and leading engineering teams to advance Intel leadership in Wireless Communications and Process Technology Development. Accomplishments include:
· Developing system integration strategy and validation plans for WiMAX residential gateways and handheld products.
· Designing experiments to validate link budget and characterize system performance under various channel conditions.
· Generating architecture and topology of WiMAX Lab to enable integration of new product features.
· Ensuring features and capabilities conformance to 802.16e and other standards.
· Developing real time automated low yield analysis system for fault detection and failures root causes. The system is key in 45nm CMOS process technology development and manufacturing.
· Research Assistant, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, August 2001 - May 2003: Conducting research at Center for Information and Communications Technology Research on Indoor Wireless Communications. Teaching Assistant for Digital Communications, and Wireless and Mobile Communications courses for undergraduate and graduate levels.
· Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, August 2000 - May 2001: Assisted in teaching Digital Communications and Wireless and Mobile Communications courses, taught Circuit and Devices Laboratory.
· Project Manager, Mobile Communications, Schlumberger, Owings Mills, August 1997 - August 2000: Working with North American telecom carriers on customization and personalization of SIM module and OTAC services. Responsibilities include:
· Technical management of SIM accounts for North American GSM carriers.
· Specification, personalization, and testing procedures for the subscriber identity modules.
· Installation of Over The Air Customization (OTAC) services for GSM North American networks.
Teaching Assistant, Dept. of Electrical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, August 1995 - May 1997: Taught Analog and Digital Control Laboratories.
Ph.D., Electrical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, GPA = 3.98 / 4.0, August 2003. Dissertation Title: Space Diversity Techniques in Indoor Broadband Optical Wireless Communications.
M.S., Electrical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, GPA = 3.97 / 4.0, August 1997. Thesis Title: Motion Artifacts Reduction in Magnetic Resonance Imaging Using Feedback Control.
B.S., Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Jordan, Jordan, Spring 1993.
Editorial Board: Journal of Communications Engineering and Networks
TPC: IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development 2012, IEEE Asia-Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetics 2012, IEEE Symposium on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics, 2012, IEEE Conference on Open Systems, 2012, IEEE Symposium on Wireless Technology & Applications, 2012,IEEE Conference on Computer Applications and Industrial Electronics, 2011,IEEE Conference on Open Systems, 2011,IEEE Jordan Conference on Applied Electrical Engineering and Computing Technologies (AEECT), 2011,IEEE Symposium on Computers & Informatics, 2011,International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference, 2012-Energy-Aware workshop, Innovation 2009,IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC), 2007, International Conference on Communications, 2006,
Reviewer: the IEEE Transactions on Communications, the IEEE Communications Letters, the IEEE Transaction on Vehicular Technology, Optics Letters, IEEE communications magazine, ETRI Journal, China Communications, DTTC 2007, IEEE WCNC 2007, ICOS 2011, ICCAIE 2011, ISCI 2011, EduCon 2012
Co-Chair: "High Performance Computing and Energy-Aware Solutions with Data Mining and Wireless/Mobile Applications" Workshop, IWCMC 2011.
Scientific committee for El-Hassan Science Week 2010. Coordinator of Poverty workshop.
Awards and General Activities
Intel Technology Development award at Intel for enabling 45 nm technology node development through engineering analysis solution Q4, 2005
Intel Technology Development award at Intel for novel circuit failure analysis classification algorithm Q1, 2007
Intel Division Award at Intel for novel failures to manufacturing defects correlation tool Q1, 2007
IEEE Senior Member
IEEE Senior Communication Society Member
Elected into the National Engineering Tau Beta Pi honor society
Marquis Who’s Who 2012
PSUT Best Researcher Award 2014
Skills and Professional Training
Research proposal workshop, PSUT
Constructive Confrontation, Intel
Effective Meetings, Intel
Managing Through People, Intel
Structured Problem Solving, Intel
Managing Projects to Success, Intel
WiMAX RF Network Engineering certificate,
Situational Leadership, Intel
C#, C/C++, JMP®, Matlab®, Optiwave®
Yazan A. Alqudah, Hazem Hajj, Mohamed AbdelMoneum, 2011, “Defect Analysis,” US. Patent (8,064,682), issued November 25, 2011.
Yazan A. Alqudah, Hazem Hajj, Mohamed AbdelMoneum, “On Architecture and Design of Automated End of Line Yield Analysis System,” filed 2007, published 2009.
· Yazan A Alqudah, Michelle Mace, and Esam Qaralleh, "Enhancing the Teaching of Digital Signal Processing through Project-Based Learning," iJOE, accepted
· Mohamed Al-Zoubi, Yazan A Alqudah, Mobile Cloud Computing Framework for Patients' Health Data Analysis, Biomedical Engineering, accepted
· Alqudah, Yazan A. "Space and time diversity in indoor wireless optical links achieving higher data rate." Optical Engineering 52.2 (2013): 025004-025004.
· Yazan A. Alqudah, “Vital Signs Remote Monitoring and Analysis Seamless Integration with Smart Phone,” Biomedical Engineering: Applications, Basis and Communications, Volume 24, Issue 4, 2012.
· Yazan A Alqudah, Todor Cooklev, “Hands-On Open-Access Broadband Wireless Technology Lab mapping outcomes to experiments, ” International Journal of Interactive Mobile Technologies, Volume 6, Issue 4 (2012)
· Yazan A Alqudah, “Optimizing Receiver and Transmitter Layout in Optical Wireless Multi Spot Configuration Access Link,” Optics Communications, Volume 285, Issue 6, Pages 1053–1061, March 2012.
· Y. Alqudah, M. Kavehrad, “MIMO Characterization of Indoor Wireless Optical Link Using a Diffuse-Transmission Configuration,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 51, No. 9, pp. 1554-1560, September 2003.
· Y. Alqudah, M. Kavehrad, “On Optimum Order of Angle Diversity with Maximal Ratio Combining Receivers for Broadband Indoor Optical Wireless Communications,” Annual Review of Communications, Vol. 57, ISBN: 1-931695-28-8, November 2004.
Y. Alqudah, M. Kavehrad, “Optimum Order of Angle Diversity with Equal-Gain Combining Receivers for Broadband Indoor Optical Wireless Communications,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Tech., Vol.-53, No. 1, pp. 94-105, January 2004.
Yazan A Alqudah, On the Performance of Cost 231 Walfish Ikegami Model in Deployed 3.5 GHz Network, TAEECE 2013, Konya, Turkey
Yazan A Alqudah, Esam Qaralleh, Project Based Learning to Enhance Teaching Digital Signal Processing, International Conference on Interactive Mobile and Computer Aided Learning, Amman, Jordan, 2012
Yazan A Alqudah, Esam Qaralleh, A Cloud Based Web Analysis and Reporting of Vital Signs, The Second International Conference on Digital Information Processing and Communications, Lithuania, 2012
Yazan A Alqudah, Todor Cooklev, “Hands-On Open-Access Broadband Wireless Technology Lab,” EduCon 2012, Marrakesh, Morocco.
Yazan A Alqudah, “Power Analysis Based on Field Measurements Using 3.5 GHz WiMAX Network, ” ICOIN 2012
Ashraf Tahat, Yazan A Alqudah, "Analysis of propagation models at 2.1 GHz for simulation of a live 3G cellular network," Wireless Advanced (WiAd), 2011 , vol., no., pp.164-169, 20-22 June 2011.
Yazan A Alqudah, Ashraf Tahat, "Path loss and propagation models at 3.5 GHz using deployed WiMAX network," Information Networking (ICOIN), 2011 International Conference on , vol., no., pp.301-305, 26-28 Jan. 2011.
Yazan A Alqudah, Yan Huiqin, "On Handover Performance Analysis in Mobile WiMAX Networks," Mobile WiMAX Symposium, 2009. MWS '09. IEEE , vol., no., pp.20-23, 9-10 July 2009.
Y Alqudah, M Kavehrad, S Jivkova, "Optical wireless multispot diffusing: a MIMO configuration," Communications, 2004 IEEE International Conference on , vol.6, no., pp. 3348- 3352 Vol.6, 20-24 June 2004.
Y. A. Alqudah, M. Kavehrad, M, "On merits of spatial coding in multilevel optical wireless links," Global Telecommunications Conference, 2003. GLOBECOM '03. IEEE , vol.7, no., pp. 4006- 4010 vol.7, 1-5 Dec. 2003.
Y. Alqudah, M. Kavehrad, “Orthogonal Spatial Coding in Indoor Wireless Optical Link," Proceedings of the OptiComm. Conference, Dallas, Texas, October 2003.
Y. Alqudah, M. Kavehrad, "Assessing the feasibility of new diffused configuration for broadband wireless infrared links," Wireless Communications and Networking, 2003. WCNC 2003. 2003 IEEE, vol.1, no., pp.673-677 vol.1, 20-20 March 2003.
J. Schiano, Y. Alqudah, “Motion Artifact Compensation in MRI using Feedback Control", 39th Experimental Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Conference, Pacific Grove, California, March 1998.
Courses Taught at PSUT
WiMAX Technology (self-developed course)
Optical Fiber Communications
Digital Signal Processing
Signals and Systems
Circuit Analysis I
Circuit Analysis II
Senior Projects Supervised at PSUT
Wireless Applications to Advance Health Care System, Fall 2009
Performance Analysis of Fixed WiMAX Network, Fall 2009
Mobile Application Logger, Fall 2010
WiMAX Physical Layer: Simulation and Performance, Fall 2010
WiMAX Channel Modeling, Spring 2010
Design and Implementation of Wireless Optical Link Using LED, Spring 2011
WiMAX Network Simulation Using EDX SignalPro Tool & Basic RF, Spring 2011
Vital Signs Measurement And Analysis Utilizing Smartphone, Spring 2011
Adaptive Modulation And Coding of WiMAX, Spring 2011
“Optical Wireless System, ” Ashraf Tahat, Yazan Alqudah, Mansour Abbadi, Research proposal submitted to SRF, Spring 2011
“A Study of Jordan’s Expanding Wireless Infrastructure Impact on Health,” Yazan Alqudah, Ashraf Tahat, Mansour Abbadi, Research proposal submitted to SRF, Fall 2010
“Development of Advanced Topics in Communications: Long Term Evolution (LTE),” Yazan Alqudah, submitted to SRF, Spring 2011